Re: Proposal to replace/extend current armhf builders

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 20:23:58 +0100
Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> wrote:
> To add up more options, we received a donation offer from OpenBlocks
> people as well, those machines have an ArmadaXP SoC and have miniPCI
> slot to extend hardware up to 3GB RAM. Nobuhiro and Thomas Petazzoni
> have been doing great work mainlining stuff. Openblocks donation was
> done at the beginning of the current year (or end of last year), but
> we rejected it in the hope to move to server class hardware.

OpenBlocks is nice, but I think it's going to be slower than any quad
iMX6, though SATA2 and 3GB of RAM is tempting. Not having NEON however,
I think that's a slight drawback (I know NEON is not required for the
port specs, but some package might have a NEON testcase to run, eg
gcc). Not fatal, but would just like to make the point.

> On the other side of things, Boston guys are aware of our interests
> and they need to do some internal discussion and maybe allocate some
> budget for special price or donation, I'll come back with more once
> they let us know. Also, it appears to be that thanks to midways coming
> up soon, highbanks might get under used by Linaro team, and they might
> be able to donate/sponsor some (I asked them for 10) nodes for Debian.

That is good news, 10 nodes, doesn't each board contain 4 nodes or have
I got that wrong (so 2.5 boards)? These highbanks *are* the Calxeda
blades right, or is this a different thing? Could you please give more
details on this (eg. systems would be actually donated to Debian, or
not, physical access allowed, etc). When is that more likely to happen,
if you could give an estimate?

Regards

Konstantinos