Re: Further trimming of ARM NAS kernel images

Hello Ben,

2013/11/11 Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:
> As the Linux kernel has continued to grow, in Linux 3.12 the iop32x and
> ixp4xx kernel images have again exceeded the size limits for the target
> machines.
>
> [Note, all figures here are based on the emdebian gcc-4.7 cross-compiler
> whereas we'll actually use the gcc-4.8 compiler for the packages, and
> refer to the zImage size.]
>
> iop32x is about 13K over-size and ixp4xx about 5K over-size.
>
> I've therefore disabled the following features (approximate reduction in
> size):
> - BPF_JIT (3K)
> - MEMCG (7K)
> - USER_NS (5K) (newly enabled for 3.12 for other configurations)
>
> The kernel is likely to carry on growing, so further optional features
> will probably still need to be dropped if these flavours are to be
> included in jessie, possibly large ones such as:
> - AUDIT, SELINUX (~50K)
> - KALLSYMS (~150K)
>
> This really is the last time I will work on this; next time this happens

Thanks for all the work done until now.

> I will drop these flavours until someone provides configuration changes
> to fix them.  The same goes for orion5x, although that currently has
> about 30K to spare.

Please, drop those flavours when that happens, do not waste more time
fixing obsolete platforms.
Hereby, I would like to suggest to already drop ixp4xx as that kernel
was meant to run on Slugs, which have been removed from Debian
Installer and replaced with more modern kirkwood devices as the
*plugs.

Regards