Debian arm on WD Sharespace

Dear Geeks and Hackers,

I come to seek help.
Recently, I've purchased one of the WD's doom devices a.k.a Sharespace and ever since I search for the propper way of using it.

My goal is to make it an iSCSI target and increase it's user/lab experience.
I don't feel confident playing with this little one, it is the first time I ssh to such dinosaur and i fear i may brick/fossil it.

Here are more details for the mentioned artifact (just in case ...):

Processor: ARM926EJ-Sid(wb) rev 0 (v5l)
BogoMIPS: 499.71
Features: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp
Hardware: Feroceon

running: Linux WDShareSpace 2.6.12.6-arm1 #47
loaded with: BusyBox v1.1.1 (2009.09.11-06:18+0000)

First I tried compiling netbsd-iscsi from but encountered an error as no acceptable C compiler is found.

Second, I aimed at iscsitarget_1.4.20.2-1_armel.deb, but before reaching it I had to went through the dependencies hell. It was not that bad, there were few pkg's to be installed.
I installed libc-bin_2.11.3-4_armel.deb, gcc-4.4-base_4.4.5-8_armel.deb, but i stucked on libgcc1_4.4.5-8_armel.deb libc6_2.11.3-4_armel.deb installation. I was not able to continue because of:
dpkg -i libgcc1_4.4.5-8_armel.deb libc6_2.11.3-4_armel.deb
WARNING: this version of the GNU libc requires kernel version
2.6.18 or later. Please upgrade your kernel before installing
glibc.

The installation of a 2.6 kernel _could_ ask you to install a new libc
first, this is NOT a bug, and should *NOT* be reported. In that case,
please add lenny sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
apt-get install -t lenny linux-image-2.6
Then reboot into this new kernel, and proceed with your upgrade

Instead of upgrading the kernel I guess it will be better if I just go with: http://www.cyrius.com/debian/ (kirkwood or orion ?!?).

Unfortunately, the proper installation of the right debian img is beyond my level of expertise.
My problems are:
which debian img I need
do I have to modify it additionally
how to install img on the device using only ssh

I will appreciate any comments, docs, guides, suggestions, links or other helping methods

Best Regards
Todor