Re: Kirkwood kernel installation

* Paul Kocialkowski <contact@paulk.fr> [2013-08-31 11:09]:
> After installing Debian Wheezy (and generating the u-boot images the
> unorthodox way), I came to realize that apt-get install --reinstall
> linux-image-3.2.0-4-kirkwood did not generate the u-boot images. The
> flash-kernel packages has to be installed by hand, and it even lacks
> u-boot-tools as a dependency: it's only recommended, but it should NOT,
> since many of the boards that kernel-flash handles NEED mkimage.

Debian installer will ensure that flash-kernel and u-boot-tools are
installed when needed.  I know you ran into problems with the
installer but that's a separate issue.  Normally, flash-kernel and
u-boot-tools will be installed for you.

> I think it would be *very* important that:
> 1. u-boot-tools is added as a dep of kernel-flash

It's not required in all cases, so a dependency wouldn't be
appropriate.

> 2. kernel-flash is added as a dep of linux-image-3.2.0-4-kirkwood (and
> any newer image)

Again, there are situations when you'd want to install the kernel
packages without flash-kernel.

> 3. kernel-flash is run after the installation of
> linux-image-3.2.0-4-kirkwood (and newer): what's the point of
> installing/updating the kernel if in the end, the installed images are
> not in the format usable by the bootloader?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  The linux-image package ships
the kernel image in one, standard format.  Various devices require the
kernel to be in a different format; that's why flash-kernel is run
after the installation and it will take the image from linux-image and
prepare the image you require on your specific device.

There's no way to avoid this -- linux-image cannot ship the kernel in
all formats required by different devices.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/