Re: Donation of ARM CubieTruck to anyone interested in developing ARM-Debian-desktop

+++ Konstantinos Margaritis [2013-10-31 23:03 +0200]:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 16:33:04 +0200
> Alexey Eromenko <al4321@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > My name is Alexey, and I'm interested in having ARM CubieTruck
> > hardware well supported by Debian for desktop (KDE) use.
> >
> > CubieTruck is an ARM mini-PC aka "Liliputer", based on AllWinner A20
> > SoC + 2 GB RAM + 8 GB flash + VGA (!) port + SATA + Ethernet + WiFi,
> > making it good enough for a real Debian desktop.
> >
> > CubieTruck
> > http://cubietruck.com/collections/frontpage/products/cubietruck-cubieboard3-cortex-a7-dual-core-2gb-ram-8gb-flash-with-wifi-bt
>
> That looks like a very cute piece of hardware!

Yep. It's nice.

> > My goal: It should have a working 2D, HD Video and 3D graphics as well
> > as audio and networking. (for my purposes even closed-source drivers
> > are "OK").

The GPU is mali 400. WHich is the 2nd most advanced free-driver project.
I believe it just-about has an X driver now, but still with a
proprietary compiler chunk in it? Check with lima project for state
there. Prospects for a free driver are good in the not-too-distant,
althouh more contributors would help of course.

> you forgot the most important component, the kernel! is the
> SoC/platform supported in mainline kernel? I guess not, but is the
> vendor provided kernel based off a newer one (like 3.8, 3.10, etc?) or
> an ancient 3.0.x? The former obviously makes things easier but the
> latter is not a show-stopper in the end. But if kernel is

The kernel is supported at sunxi.com. Mainlining is currently in
progress, and co-operation is reasonably good. You can already boot to a
serial port using a mainline kernel (A couple of months back - not sure
how much further things have got). There is still a pile of work to get
everything properly mailined. But there are a pile of Allwiner
A10/A20-based boards so this will help a lot of people.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/