Re: AW: New Arndale board announced

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 18:17:34 +0000
peter green <plugwash@p10link.net> wrote:
> > 2. The board is missing a SATA connector. The internal eMMC is far
> > to slow for speedy sw development.
> There is USB3 which should in theory give you fast storage, the
> question is will it be fast and stable in practice.
>
> Does anyone know if the reason for the lack of SATA is because the
> SoC doesn't have it, because the vendors can't be bothered including
> it or some other reason?

I've been using SSD over USB3 on a chromebook (again exynos5 based) for
almost a year now and it's been rock solid (admittedly using a
chromeos kernel). I've been doing compiles on it and it's much faster
than both the quad odroid-x (sans SATA, usb2) or the sabrelite quad mx6
(SATA-1 only). In terms of performance, hdparm -t gives me ~69MB/s vs
28MB/s on the internal eMMC (yes I know hdparm is not a real benchmark,
but it's an indication). kernel compiles happen quite fast and the
system running Debian unstable has been quite solid for me for the past
year.

I intended to get one of the XUs myself and was actually wondering if it
would be worth to do a bulk order for some developers (maybe getting a
discount and maybe use some of the Debian funds for this purchase). If
people are more keen on getting arndale's instead, I'd be willing to go
that route as well, get one board and try to support it as best we can
in Debian.

I would personally suggest using such systems (Arndales/XUs)as official
buildds even if there is no mainline support, or at least evaluating
them. I know some people prefer real "server" class ARM hardware, but
I'd rather have something that is cheap and easily replaceable (so we
can preorder spare boards even) even if it's not fully supported in
mainline, rather than a $7k hard-to-get server class board that is
mainlined. For the record, the official buildds didn't have mainline
support originally, that only came some time afterwards, and originally
I did built the whole of armhf natively on a bunch of Efikas which
weren't supported in mainline at all -and still aren't.

Bottom line: mainline support is great to have, but should not be a
showstopper and with 3/7 buildds out of order and the other 4
struggling to build huge packages taking many days even, I'd suggest
we make a decision to replace them sooner rather than later.

Regards

Konstantinos