Debian 7.0 on Dreamplug basic installation and booting system external sd card

I'm trying to install Debian 7.0 to a dreamplug, using the SD card
slot on the device, rather than the internal card.

I followed [1].  The installation appeared to go okay, but when it
came to booting the newly installed system, the image files didn't
exist.

I popped the SD card into a PC and indeed, uImage and uInitrd were not there.

I attempted to generate the images with the following commands:

    $ mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00800000 -e
0x00800000 -n kernel -d vmlinuz uImage
    $ mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x01100000 -e
0x01100000 -n i -d initrd.img uInitrd

The resulting files looked reasonable so I transferred the SD card
back to the dreamplug.  They loaded okay.  Then I ran "bootm
0x00800000 0x01100000".  This printed out some convincing-looking
information about the two images, printed the message "Starting
kernel", and then nothing.

Why didn't the installation work in the first place and is my
technique of generating the images on a PC flawed?

  regards, Stanley

[1] <http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install/>