Re: Bits from the Release Team (Jessie freeze info)

Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
So I can extrapolate from this that ensuring that the toolchain is up
to date and working is a key activity of a porter.
It's a key activity of the porters for a port as a whole, not nessacerally of every porter.
 If my assumption is
correct, is there a complete definition of the "toolchain" as we see
it in Debian
Afaict it's mostly gcc and bintutils, to a lesser extent related tools and other compilers.

Afaict Debian arm gets off fairly easy on the toolchain side because ubuntu support arm and ubuntu are usually ahead of debian on toolchain versions, so they normally run into the problems first.

One can also look through the bug list for packages like gcc and binutils looking for ones that mention arm.
that a porter might reasonably be expected to use to do
thier porting?

In addition, I wonder if there is a way to report the status of the
toolchain and what sort of expectations are there around "up to date"?
Is it expected to build Debian toolchain nightly and run a specific
test suite?
No, I don't think building anything nightly would help, debian doesn't tend to move that quickly.

The gcc testsuite is normally run as part of the package build and summaries of the results are placed in the resulting packages /usr/share/doc/<package name>. I notice there are some unexpected failures in the summary. What i'm not sure is how to tell which failures are the "unexpected" ones :/