Re: Good ARM board for Debian?

On 9/26/2013 6:23 PM, peter green wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

 >Well, it looks like for several reasons the RaspberryPi won't work for
this project.
Knowing what those reasons are would help us to steer you towards a
board that is suitable for your needs.
Also the ability to run their ARM version of Wheezy under QEMU is
important for development.
While you can run debian wheezy under QEMU the emulated hardware is
highly unlikely to match what you are actually developing for. So
anything involving GPIO, graphics etc will almost certainly have to be
developed/tested on the real hardwhere whichever board you use.

Peter,

Yes, I am well aware of that. However, we can still develop and compile the applications under QEMU on a much faster system (even with QEMU's overhead). We also don't have to worry about bricking the system and having to recover; it's a pretty simple matter to mount a QEMU disk on native Debian and making changes to the load sequence.

And for hardware which isn't emulated, a simple module can feed fake data to the applications for testing.

P.S. No need to CC: me. I'm subscribed to the list (and monitor it on Usenet).

Jerry