Re: Arm bof and raspbian.

+++ Michael Cree [2013-09-13 20:29 +1200]:
> I'm not a DD, thus am no authority on these matters, nevertheless it
> would surprise me to see an armv6 port being permitted on Debian-Ports
> with the arch name 'armhf'.

Well, it's just a matter of whether it's actually a sensible plan or
not, and mostly a matter of enough people undertaking to look after
the packages and build failures.

It would be better if we had a 'hwcaps' field to distinguish what
binaries were built for, but without it people just need to be told
which repos to use, which is the current situation with
raspbian/debian armhf and ubuntu/debian armel (prior to 12.10).

> I seem to recall seeing some discussion recently about whether it might be
> feasible to build armel on armhf hardware (thus solving the problem of speed
> and needing oodles of memory for some specific builds) and then rerun the
> test suites on actual armel hardware.  I can't remember what the outcome of
> the discussion was.

There is no such thing as 'armhf' (or 'armel') hardware. Anything that
can run one ABI can also run the other. I guess you are talking about armel
chroots on machines with an armhf base system installed (or vice
versa). That works fine SFAIK.

> So, it seems to me that your requirement that the arch is called 'armhf'
> means that it is unlikely an armv6 port would be hosted on debian-ports,

As explained, the only issue I am aware of is potential user confusion, and
having a mechanism to get the toolchain defaults right. dpkg-vendor
would do this and is OK with the GCC maintainer. So long as each
buildd is correctly set this should work fine.

I think debian-ports capacity is more of an issue. It's full and in
need to migrating to more conventional Debian hosting. I believe this
is planned but I don't know when it's actually likely to happen.

> But if I surmise incorrectly, and it is decided to host a build for armv6
> on Debian-Ports, then my offer to host and run a buildd (or two) stands.

Cool. The rules for offical buildds are strict - I'm not sure about
unoffical ones if debian-ports itself gets migrated to more 'official'
status.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/