Re: installing nautilus on my TS119PII+ running wheezy breaks booting

Jan Griesfeller <ripe@griesfeller.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> during the last couple of days something strange happened with my TS119PII+ after
> the last update of wheezy: It did not boot anymore. I could hear that the harddrive
> was being accessed, but after maybe 15 seconds the activity stopped, the status light kept
> blinking red/green and no network access was possible. The DHCP server was not asked
> for an IP address.
>
> At 1st I thought it was a bad flash, so I flashed the installer with TFTP and
> installed from scratch, this time creating a proper recovery image every time the
> kernel was updated. Then after having installed all my services (apache, exim, sabnzb
> and transmission) I rebooted and the machine came up as expected.
> Then I installed nautilus (apt-get install nautilus), the flash was updated (fuse &
> ntfs-3g), I tried rebooting, but the machine hangs as described.
> So I reflashed via TFTP my last known working flash image...
> Still no successful boot. The same problem with earlier working images.

Without logs, hard to guess. It would be interesting to get a serial
cable, or try with netconsole (see ijc' s blog for instance:
http://www.hellion.org.uk/blog/posts/debugging-initramfs-over-netconsole/). If
the system boots far enough to write logs on the hard drive, you may
remove the drive from the ts119 (if possible) and mount it with a usb
adapter.

It can be a problem with fuse or with something else... like
network-manager. I'm thinking of it as it has high chances to get pulled
by gnome stuff and you don't have any dhcp request. Of course, the
problem may be elsewhere.

Arnaud