Dropping support for the smallest armel machines

We have a recurring problem with building kernels for armel: three
flavours (iop32x, ixp4xx, orion5x) require the kernel image size to be
less than 1.4-1.5 MB in order to fit into a fixed flash partition.

As more features continue to be added to Linux and cannot always
configurable as a module, it is necessary to override and disable them
on these three configurations[1].  I don't think this is sustainable
unless someone who particularly cares about these older platforms steps
up to take on this task.

The iop32x and ixp4xx hardware appears to been discontinued in 2008.  If
we remove these flavours now, they will still be supported in Debian 7
until 2016.  I think 8 years of support is pretty good.

According to comments in the current configuration, the current size
limit of 1.5 MB for orion5x is due to the DNS-323, while other models
have a ~2 MB flash partition for the kernel.  Dropping support for the
DNS-323 would make it possible to raise this limit.  However, this model
was only discontinued in 2012[2].  Perhaps it could be supported by
putting a second stage uboot in flash which would load the kernel and
initramfs from disk, as suggested in [3]?

[1] Currently OABI_COMPAT, CRYPTO_FIPS, VGA_ARB, PCI_QUIRKS, FTRACE,
    KSM, NETLINK_MMAP, NETLINK_DIAG, SECURITY_YAMA.  Also,
    SECURITY_APPARMOR and SECURITY_TOMOYO are currently disabled for all
    armel flavours, but I think they should be enabled where possible.
[2] http://www.dlink.com/us/en/support/product/dns-323-sharecenter-2-bay-network-storage-enclosure
[3] http://dns323.kood.org/howto:uboot

Ben.

--