Re: cross-compilation pango

On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 04:34:00PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> This is generally correct, but increasingly the base package set is
> set up to cross-build. Some work is still needed on merging the
> relevant fixes from ubuntu, and sorting out the cross-compiler setup
> situation, but we're getting there slowly. All the fundamentals are in
> good shape.

Some packages are setup for it, but most are not.

> I have to disgree here. autconf's cross-build support is good and
> generally works pretty well. Of the many build systems out there it is
> one of the least-bad in this regard.

I can't think of much that is worse (maybe ant is a worse horror).

gcc since 4.3 hasn't been able to be cross compiled due to autoconf
issues with libstdc++.  It insists on running binaries to determine the
target system's features and when you are not on a target system you
can't do that.

And while you can use the environment to define the autoconf answers
for most things, there are exceptions where there is no way to provide
the answer.

Now with multiarch and qemu, you are starting to be able to actually run
the autoconf crap on qemu making you able to actually run the target code
to determine what settings to use, but it sure isn't thanks to autoconf
that it is becoming possible.  To some extent this is starting to allow
crosscompiling through target system emulation, rather than pure cross
compiling with no access to a target system.

--
Len Sorensen