Anyone got Wheezy running on a Dreamplug?

Does anyone know of any foolproof method of getting Wheezy running on a
Dreamplug?

I believe this requires upgrading U-Boot (to get device-tree support/fix
L2 cache issue?) but when I tried upgrading U-Boot by flashing it from
U-Boot I ended up with an expensive brick. Now this may have been user
error, but I don't want to risk bricking the new DreamPlug I bought
without instructions which are known to work. Or, perhaps the safest
thing is to load a new U-Boot from the old one if that's possible? And
in desperation I may even resort to writing a shim to make the Wheezy
kernel load with the stock U-Boot.

The method I was following which created a brick was to use the U-Boot
binary linked from Martin Michlmayr's page [1] and flash it using the
the sf probe/erase/write commands from the FreedomBox site [2].

My attempts to debrick using openocd and the JTAG module were the same
as another user [3] even when I scripted power cycling and openocd to
run in a loop a to try and get the timing right (which was one of the
suggested remedies). I gave up after 1000's of cycles in a overnight
run.

I then found kwuartboot [4] and thought I was saved, however both my old
and new DreamPlugs die after the first xmodem packet is sent. I verified
that the boot ROM is version 1.21 by sending the debug pattern to the
boards and seeing the response. After sending the boot pattern I see
byte 0x15 being sent from the plug every second on the serial port,
which is the correct behaviour for waiting for an xmodem. However after
sending the first xmodem packet the board don't send an ACK, and any
further packet retries result in the packet being echoed back.

I've tried sending different U-Boot files as well (e.g. the one in the
Debian U-Boot package). And just in case I have a new incompatible
DreamPlug variant I compared the kwbimage header from the NOR of my new
stock plug with those in the images I was trying to load via UART; the
header contents are the same apart from the length and CRC fields as we
would expect.

So that lead me to this plea for help :-)

[1] http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/uboot-upgrade/
[2] http://freedomboxfoundation.org/ubootUpgradeInstructions/index.en.html
[3] http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qqriddgo7r3fqce3pj1f08f5t7&topic=2619.0
[4] http://www.solinno.co.uk/public/kwuartboot/