Re: bringing up a 2GB nitrogen6x -- SUCCESS

Hi Peter,

peter green wrote:

> Fourth try: Google for "nitrogen6x wheezy armhf", this took me to
http://www.armhf.com/index.php/boards/nitrogen6x-sabre/ , the image
from there booted fine but only saw 1GB of ram.
> Further investigation shows that the boot process involves two
> versions of u-boot. The first (presumablly loaded from the
> nitrogen6x's boot flash) sees 2GB but the second (presumablly
> loaded from the SD card) only sees 1GB.

Sorry this was a hassle.

You're exactly right in your assumptions. The eewiki site builds
an SD card with a customized U-Boot version in un-partitioned
space and then uses the 'bmode' U-Boot command to boot it.

As far as I know, the only reason for this is to get support
for zImage and raw initrd's.

I pushed a patch for this to our staging tree:
	https://github.com/boundarydevices/u-boot-imx6/commit/aaef074f66a5227d3d0e4fe2323c60f33480fa7b

I'll follow up by sending the patch to the U-Boot list and
our production process.

There's no reason to be re-flashing the boot loader to load
Debian.

> I took another look at that page and noticed it had a link to "how to
do it yourself" , I followed that link to
http://www.eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/i.MX6x+SABRE+Lite and found
some instructions for getting a patched u-boot source.

Unfortunately the config he was using was based on the sabre light
config (which afaict is locked to 1G ram) and not the nitrogen6x
config and further his u-boot assumed a partitioning structure which
was different from the one used in the image I had (in particular it
had a seperate boot partitions).

Right.

At the moment, we have separate configs for each of the processor
variants and memory configurations as detailed in the README.

http://git.denx.de/u-boot.git/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=board/boundary/nitrogen6x/README;h=50490931e0206d251d60ae8f71a5b955313613fb;hb=HEAD#l72

Still with a bit of hacking (mostly copying stuff from the sabre lite
config and a lot of trial and error I managed to get a u-boot config
that would both see all the ram and successfully load the kernel from
the image I had. I've attached it here in case anyone else finds it
useful.

Thanks. This really isn't supposed to be difficult ;)

So it's running wheezy (with a non-debian "3.9.1-imx4" kernel
supplied with the image from armhf.com), seeing all the ram, seeing
the sata hard drive and seeing USB sticks, I haven't tried any of the
other hardware.

We haven't had a chance to spend much time with the main-line kernel,
but suspect that there are a lot of omissions.

The 3.0.35 kernel in our Github repository is pretty full-featured,
with support for all of the peripherals.

Regards,

Eric