Re: apt-get /lib/ld-linux.so.3 deletion screwup disaster :-(

+++ Phil Endecott [2013-05-07 20:36 +0000]:

> I eventually discovered that things would run if I invoked the dynamic
> linker directly:
>
> # /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 /bin/ls
>
> I was then able to establish that my existing executables want a dynamic
> linker called /lib/ld-linux.so.3, while I now have only
> /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 .  By symlinking the latter to the former, the
> system is apparently functional again.
>
> So what is the root problem here?

Your original install was built before the name for the armhf linker
was agreed between distros. Once it was agreed (with a different path
to the one Debian originally picked) everything had to be
(incompatibly) rebuilt.

Yes this is very annoying, especially to anyone who installed from
that early ports repo. That repo was never 'released' in any proper
way and it was thought that anyone using it was following development
closely enough to notice the linker-name change (there was quite a lot
of discussion about this on the lists). Sorry that you missed that
until finding out the hard way.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/