Re: device tree not the answer in the ARM world [was: Re: running Debian on a Cubieboard]

On Mon, 6 May 2013, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

I am getting the impression that we should ignore the cell phones given
they seem to be thoroughly ignoring their customers and everyone else
anyhow.  If we then focus on the devices that perhaps do care to be around
for a while and supported, we might actually have a manageable problem.
Who knows maybe at some point the cell phone makers will smarted up and
realize there is a market in having happy long term customers and join in.

ARM based SoC chips are quickly coming to industrial, automotive and telecom markets. On those markets maintainability is important, also the volumes are always not that great, and software engineers are a limited resource. There will be even some chips where the peripherials are the same in the SoC, just the core can be selected ARM vs. PPC for example and PPC side already uses DT.

Regards,
--Kim