Re: device tree not the answer in the ARM world

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 06:33:51PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  *click*.  now some comments on #arm-netbooks make sense.  such as
> "sparc has had device tree for 20 years".  okaaaaay.  i get it.

Yes devicetree was invented as a way for embedded powerpc systems to
provide the same information to the kernel as openfirmware (IEEE 1275)
already provided on server and desktop powerpc machines.  That system
was already in use on powerpc and sparc machines.  I can't remember if
any MIPS machines used openfirmware or not.

The fact FCODE on add in PCI cards and similar could be used to
initialize and enumerate devices in the system is quite nice since it
is CPU architecture independant (It is Forth code).

--
Len Sorensen