Re: headless LAMP server buying advice: Beaglebone Black or Cubieboard

Le 06/05/2013 14:53, Leonardo Canducci a écrit :> 2013/5/6 Brian Platt <brianplatt@hotmail.com>:
>> Couple more are Shevalug, raspberry pi, pogoplug
> They are all obsolete devices. Rpi need a recompiled OS (raspian)
> while I'd like to use 'vanilla' debian.

Why SheevaPlug may be obsolete ?

Le 06/05/2013 15:12, Leonardo Canducci a écrit :
> [...]
>> A10 devices it's not like you're spoiled for documentation and howtos.
>>  start from http://linux-sunxi.org and
>> http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/hacking_the_mele_a1000 and see
>> how you get on.
>
> That's bad news... so there is not one single board supported by
> debian? What about OMAP kernels in the armhf port? Are there other
> specific repositories with kernel updates?
>>
>>  beaglebone black i've not looked into because it doesn't have SATA
>> and because the limitations of the SoC itself when compared to the A10
>> have had to be "bolstered" by additional ICs.
>>
>>> I don't care for:
>>> - GPIO
>>> - graphics
>>
>> ... so the fact that the beaglebone black has to do HDMI via a
>> separate IC is of no consequence to you, but what about SATA?
>
> SATA is interesting in a NAS perspective. Also worth considering that
> BBB has half the RAM and NAND.
>>
>>> I made some research and read some wiki and it looks like the new
>>> Beaglebone Black and the Cubieboard are both good choices (the former
>>> probably having better support and the latter better specs).
>>
>>  "probably" isn't quite true.  it depends on how you rate an
>> "official" SoC vendor's support vs rather large from-ground-up
>> community-driven support.
>>
>>  personally, given the fact that the people in the community have had
>> to do the work themselves on the A10, that means that they're
>> extremely knowledgeable now, and i'd rate their advice as being as
>> good as if not better than that of an "official" SoC vendor.  and
>> probably more accessible, too.
>
> Well, I meant mostly community support... I was focused on the
> specific card - instead of the SOC itself - and I guessed that
> Beaglebone had a much larger userbase. I know A10 has been around for
> a long time and many gadgets are base around that SOC. So Cubieboard
> is better even in that regard?
>>
>>  why don't you test that out by asking on each respective community?
>> see how easy it is, how responsive they both are.
>
> I'll do
>>
>>> Which one wolud you recommend? Are there alternatives to consider?
>>
>>  couple more on top of brian's list: odroid-u2, odroid-x2 (both are
>> easy enough to convert to debian using a chroot bootstrap, see
>> http://lkcl.net/reports/odroid-u2.html) - you can ignore the stuff
>> about MALI.
>
> These are mid-range products (at least twice the price) with
> desktop-like performance. Probably overkill for my purpose.
>>
>>  it would help you enormously to put out a hardware spec.  say, a
>> minimum amount of RAM, minimum number of interfaces etc.
>
> I don't know exactly but I guess I need:
> - ethernet
> - 512MB ram or more
> - up-to-date CPU
>
> since I'd like to run dokuwiki and experiment with selfoss, NAS (nfs),
> owncloud and possibly freedombox stuff (once it gets ready to play

I have one Sheevaplug with dokuwiki and some others as media center (squeezebox), blog (wordpress), forum (phpbb), owncloud, ejabber, redmine, weather station.

I have started a feature charts about ARM[1] SoC for plugs and derivatives.

The kirkwood SoC is supported by debian and the linux kernel is maintain and updated[2].

More information about plugs with the Cyrius Debian's Howto[3].

The main problem of SheevaPlugs are the actual non support of the SD/MMC driver in mainline UBoot[4].
It's still in my ToDo tasks and will be available soon.

A lot hardware derivatives exist.
Software hack, tweaks, enhancements and documentations are largely available.

Because SheevaPlug is a developer device, it's an unbrickable software base concept.

Debian Installer is stable[5], still developed[6] and working fine.

Sheevaplus can also easily target FreedomBox
.

Regards,
+G.

[1] https://doukki.net/doku.php?id=wiki:notes:arm-features-chart