Re: NSLU2 Cluster

On 27/04/13 17:03, Brian Platt wrote:
> I've got a couple of NSLU2 (slugs) sitting around idle and I thought as
> a little project I could put them in a cluster. Can anyone recommend
> some lightweight cluster software that can be used to share
> storage/resources?

Back in the day I used to use OpenMOSIX for this sort of thing, but that
died years ago. The replacements seem to be LinuxPMI, Kerrighed or
OpenSSI. They also haven't shown any life for years and probably don't
work on ARM anyway. FWIW, here are the installation instructions for
OpenSSI on Debian:

http://openssi.org/cgi-bin/view?page=docs2/1.9/debian/INSTALL.html

These are all SSI clusters, where the whole cluster behaves as if it's
one big computer and processes migrate seamless from machine to machine.
They're rather out of fashion these days, the emphasis being on the
other kind of cluster where each machine is largely independent and the
applications explicitly run work units on different CPUs. But I have
absolutely no experience with those whatsoever, not even extending to
knowing what they're called.

I still miss OpenMOSIX...

│
│ "Home is where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in."
│ --- Cordelia Naismith (via Robert Frost)