Re: Plat'Home OpenBlocks discounted for Debian member and FLOSS Developer

Hi,

Thank you for your comment.

2013/4/17 Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 08:53:24AM +0900, Nobuhiro Iwamatsu wrote:
>> Plat'Home is one of the Debconf 13 sponsor will sell at discount to
>> Debian member and FLOSS Developer for the OpenBlocks of small ARM micro server.
>>
>>   https://openblocks.plathome.com/form/obs_verification/input.html
>>
>> Two types of the machine will be sold.
>>
>>  * OpenBlocks A6 / $250
>>    ARM (kirkwood) 600 MHz CPU and 512 MB onboard memory.
>>    http://openblocks.plathome.com/products/a6/
>>
>> * OpenBlocks AX3 / $450
>>    Dualcore ARM (armadaXP) 1.33 GHz CPU and 1 GB onboard memory.
>>    http://openblocks.plathome.com/products/ax3/
>>
>> If you are interested, please contact to the following URL.
>>
>>   https://openblocks.plathome.com/form/obs_verification/input.html
>
> You have to provide proof that you are active in a given community?
> That's silly.  And company name is mandatory, which seems odd for what
> is often a community of volunteers doing things at home in their spare
> time.

I think what use is what is the machine you want to sell, and he
worried about as a company.

> When I bought my i.MX53 QSB, freescale just asked what I was planning
> to use it for, but had no problem selling developer boards to random
> interested people.  It certainly did some help in getting debian armhf
> going, and I believe the initial work on rapbian was also done on i.MX53
> QSB because they were easy to get, decent performance, and recommended
> by other Debian community members working on arm.

I see. I guess there is also such a company.
I think that it is not a rare story to demand a simple report while a
company sells it cheaply or offer a machine.

> It also seems rather expensive compared to the other arm systems I have
> of similar features and performance.  My prediction will be that with
> that price and the required information to order one, you won't get
> much interest.  That's a shame.
>
> It does look pretty though.

openblocks is one of the servers that are used in such network
infrastructure companies and actually.
This is different from ARM machines entering the cheaply in terms of
support services and test the machine.
Although I think many developers and do not need them.

> --
> Len Sorensen

Best regards,
  Nobuhiro