Re: d-i for wheezy on a Dreamplug, docs/recommended practice?

Eric Cooper <ecc@cmu.edu> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 08:12:35AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
>> On Fri, 2013-03-22 at 19:42 +0100, Martin Lucina wrote:
>> > There is another method which is not mentioned anywhere(!!) which I use and
>> > is 100% reliable, namely booting over UART using kwuartboot [2], loading
>> > the new image also over UART using e.g. kermit and then flashing it. Would
>> > it be worthwhile to document this somewhere? If so, where? Obviously this
>> > only works for people with the JTAG unit/some other compatible UART level
>> > converter.
>>
>> That is pretty neat, is it "just" driving the u-boot command line in an
>> expect(1) like manner to start a kermit transfer or is it doing
>> something clever?
>
> The Kirkwood SoC boots directly from the UART rather than flash if it
> sees the right magic pattern during startup.  A good overview is here:
>     http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,7852,7852

This page seems slightly outdated as uboot has the kwboot util in its
tree iirc. This means one should be able to get it on debian throught
one of the package produced by the u-boot source package (if not, might
deserve a bug report).

Arnaud