Re: d-i for wheezy on a Dreamplug, docs/recommended practice?

Hi,

leigh@solinno.co.uk said:
> On 2013-03-22 18:42, Martin Lucina wrote:
> [...]
> >Futher: What is a user w/o a JTAG device to do? How is he/she supposed
> >to run the installer?
>
> I don't think it's possible.  The only other way to get a new distro on
> the device would be to write a pre-created image on to a MicroSD card and
> take it apart to install it.

I guess one could use an existing system on the plug to set up U-boot to
boot d-i over TFTP and use a network console to install. However this is
probably too complex (and fragile) for most users.

> Since I wrote that, a better version[1] called kwboot (although I think
> the name may be about to change) has been independently written and
> incorporated into the u-boot source code.  Your point about providing
> instructions to help people get things up and running still stands of
> course.  I shall make a small start on that by pointing to kwboot from my
> webpage.

Your version has the advantage of being small and self-contained; thus easy
to build for anyone who needs it. Building all of U-boot needs a working
cross toolchain which means extra work for a user.

What is missing at the moment for a normal user to be able to upgrade
U-boot are some pre-built "blessed" binary images of the bootloader,
ideally hosted on a Debian machine. The following files are required to
upgrade the bootloader using the UART method:

- u-boot.kwb built with BOOT_FROM=uart to boot via UART
- u-boot.kwb build with BOOT_FROM=spi to flash the device

I can build known-good versions of these using either the latest
(2013.01.01) U-boot or the version in wheezy, if someone can arrange to
have these hosted on an official site?

After that the steps for installation are fairly straightforward:

1) Download the U-boot images.
2) Download and build kwuartboot, boot and flash the new U-boot using UART.
3) Copy d-i to an USB stick and follow the steps from my previous e-mail.

Regards,

-mato