Re: Can't get a Linux 3.6-rc zImage smaller than 2MB

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Arnaud Patard <arnaud.patard@rtp-net.org> wrote:
"Chris Wilkinson" <kinsham@verizon.net> writes:

> Is it necessary to flash-kernel? Once /boot on HD is populated with
> the new kernel, doesn’t it finally boot from that and it doesn’t matter what version is flashed?

redboot is configured to read the kernel from the flash, so yes, you
need flash-kernel. I've not tested to load a kernel from disk so I've
no idea if you can configure and use redboot to do it (but it's unlikely).
I was wondering if it would be possible to use a different portion of the flash memory for the kernel.
I mean that redboot MTD has like 7 regions.

Anyway, as some people requested, I wanted to share what worked for me, so I redid the same thing but with 3.8.3.

Here are the steps:
https://soltysiak.com/compiling-linux-kernel-for-ss4000-e-aka-lanner-em-7210-running-debian/

Best regards,
Maciej