install from source package

If not the proper list please point me to the correct one
I am trying to compile on a Marvell processor openssl from the source package and build a .deb
What I tried
apt-get source openssl #no errors
Edited debiam/rules to add -DHAVE_CRYPTODEV to CONFARGS
make depend
apt-get build-dep openssl #no errors
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
This ran and compiled twice
I saw the -DHAVE_CRYPTODEV in the gcc line while compiling
When it finished I had no .deb and it would not use cryptodev
If I do a make the resulting app uses cryptodev but I would like to get a .deb to install
You can tell I have never built a package before
Pointers please

Richard