Re: Sending a simple mail from debian slug

On 14/12/12 13:13, Tobias Wagner wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to send a simple email to my address with no success. I
logged in via ssh and typed:
echo "This is a test." | mail -s "Test subject" test@gmx.de

It didn't give an error message, but no email was received.

I have searched the net but there's so many tools associated to it
(mutt, exim, sendmail, ...) that I am totally confused. I only need to
send mails from commandline, no inbox needed.

Assuming you have a default configuration then you probably have exim.

Type the following:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

and answer the questions. By default, IIRC, exim is configured not to send any e-mail outwards.

You probably want the "mail sent by smarthost; no local mail" option, then tell it the name of the mail server which will accept and forward your outgoing mail.

HTH
John