Re: potential new build hardware, "arndaleboard" samsung exynos5,?2GB?ram

You are right. Acording to the Samsung User Manual http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/file/product/Exynos_5_Dual_User_Manaul_Public_REV100-0.pdf , the Exynos 5 has only one SATA port. From the wiring perspective eSATA and SATA are the same. eSATA only specifies mechanically and electromagnetically improved cables and connectors and a slightly improved signaling levels. I think the designer of the Arndale board "insignal" has placed the eSATA connector instead of an SATA one, because it's mechanically more resistant (connection cycles). The specification of the Exynos does not mention eSATA capabilities, so I would not try to connect a harddisk with cables up to 2m ;-) Threat it like a normal internal SATA port.