Re: How about SAN with ARM?

On 10/25/12, Muun Dahweed <meetjesus@rutgersubf.org> wrote:
> Hi again and thanks for writing.
> I got pretty busy and procrastinated to reply.
> Please forgive me.

 eyy, nothing to forgive sah: this is the internet, you're allowed to
do whatever you feel!

>>   the nice thing about this is that web server farms already recognise
>> and deploy the concept of round-robin DNS or HTTP proxy redirection in
>> order to farm out the queries to individual web front-ends.
> Over my head. Sorry.

 it's just another way of making use of several small computers to
appear like it's one big one, you're talking about file storage and i
was just saying it can be done [the parallelism] with certain kinds of
simplistic web serving as well, that's all.

>>   i'm intrigued about the NDAS idea though.  i looked up NDAS, there's
>> a company called ximeta - they apparently released GPL linux kernel
>> drivers for their proprietary protocol, but code.ximeta.com has been
>> taken offline, since.
> The technology was bought last year. And the new owner opens the
> sources. Now it moves even to git hub and aims for submission to Linux
> driver staging.

 superb!  do you have a link at all?

> However, as far as I know, the advent of the "Clouwd"
> also put a kibosh on the home user personal need for storage, and the
> hardware in the home seems a little less popular for now.

> It is hard to know if it will change. This is why I made this inquiry.

 well, my take on this is as follows:

 a) the average intelligent debian/unix user/developer is sufficiently
security-conscious that they're pretty deeply unimpressed with "da
clowd".
 b) i'm speaking with a friend of mine for example who submitted some
comments to gov.uk and was *really* unimpressed when he found that the
IP address of the "clowd" service being used to store his responses
was in the USA.
 c) bringing these two together, it's easy to conclude that the
average intelligent debian/unix user/developer will still need or
otherwise feel obligated to work on *secure* "clowd" computing, if not
for other people then for themselves.

> As for my specific problem. I could not find an cloud system readily
> working with NDAS from my debian Sheevaplug. When I did "apt-cache
> search cloud" there was not much to use.

 :)

> I started on this when I saw one other NAS project running Greyhole,
> from an ARM computer which seemed like a good match for many NetDISKs on
> the lan, all connected to a single server and used as as pool with
> redundancy via SAMBA.

 yeah i remember, now, that the SMB protocol as modified by microsoft
has its own version of DFS - it has had, for what.... 18 years?  it'd
be interesting to know if samba actually supports that or if greyhold
did something different.

> However, it looks like that Arm based side was  dropped.

 eurgh.

> They are still going on Ubuntu for 86's though.

 well, that means it's still possible to compile up the packages
yourself.  have you ever done that before?  also are the packages
submitted to debian already?  if not you can use "reportbug" to submit
them.  if they're available for ubuntu already then it'll be much
easier for a new maintainer to pick up, they use the same packaging
files after all.

> That's a summary of my status. Thanks again for you encouraging words. I
> will keep going, even though if only a slim chance.

 yeah, go for it, if it's useful to you.  if not, please find
something else, that's all i can say! :)

l.