Re: Seagate GoFlex Satellite

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 01:51:05PM -0700, Braddock Gaskill wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:02:06 +0300, Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 09:41:15PM -0700, Braddock Gaskill wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there much hope of getting Debian running on a Seagate GoFlex
> >> Satellite?  This is a very sexy little Linux-based device which
> encloses
> > According to the following article, Seagate GoFlex runs using TI AM3703,
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/show/4706/understanding-wireless-storage-kingston-widrive-and-seagate-goflex-satellite
>
> I see in the left side of that picture a connector that appears to be
> labeled "COM1" - could we be so lucky?  It might just read "CON1" - hard to
> make out.

If you're referring to
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/4706/Screen%20Shot%202011-11-13%20at%204.20.09%20AM.png
specifically, then yes, that does say "CON1", and it's a 4-pin header (which
is what I've always seen on other devices for serial).

The fight isn't *quite* over, but by gum you've got a good start.  In my
experience, all of these sorts of devices have 3.3V TTL serial ports, rather
than the RS232 standard of 12V.  That's fairly easy to get around -- there's
no shortage of level converter devices out there.  Then there's the pinout
issue.  If you can trace the PCB from those pins back to what they connect
to, that'll confirm for you that (a) it's the serial port, and (b) the exact
pinout.  Otherwise, a bit of trial and error is required.

Probably (hopefully) two of the four pins will be tied together -- that'll
be ground.  Hook up the RX on the serial adapter to one of the other pins,
and see if you get boot messages.  If not, try the other pin.  Once you've
got RX, the remaining pin is TX.  If you don't get boot messages either way,
then it's either not 3.3V, or not a serial port.  (This is why tracing the
PCB is more reliable -- you'll know for sure one way or another).

- Matt