Re: Seagate GoFlex Satellite

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 09:41:15PM -0700, Braddock Gaskill wrote:
> Is there much hope of getting Debian running on a Seagate GoFlex
> Satellite?  This is a very sexy little Linux-based device which encloses a
> 500GB harddrive with wifi and runs off a battery.  It has been partially
> hacked already to install additional packages, but I haven't seen a full
> distro put on it.
>
> What would be involved in getting Debian to run?  Where would I start?  Is
> anyone interested in working on this?

It should be straightforward to set up Debian in a chroot on the
device, since it's already been rooted:
    http://forums.seagate.com/t5/GoFlex-Satellite/telnet-credentials-for-goflex-satellite/m-p/110580

Replacing the stock firmware with Debian should also be possible, but
I'd suggest only trying this if you there is a serial and/or JTAG port
on the board, so you can recover if (when!) you brick it.  I couldn't
find out with a cursory search, but even opening up the case looks
fairly painful:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLwMg9puZvg