Re: Marvell PXA168/128 meg/800x600 LCD

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 02:59:06PM -0400, Bruce Given wrote:
> Please excuse the newbie question, I have following the list for a bit
> and doing a lot of reading
>
> I have signed up to purchase one of the Via APC boards ( supposed to
> be delivered in July according to the email I got from Via)
>
> have been looking around and have not yet seen a port of Debian for
> the Wondermedia WM8750
> I have come across a couple of ports for the WM8650 , the main
> differences it seems is the
> 8750 is based on the ARM1176JZF while the 8650 is based on the ARM926EJ-S
>
> the rest of the block diagrams of the 8750 and 8650 look quite similar
> my question's are and I assume that it depends on what boot roms on the APC
>
> will I be able to boot a 8650 image on the 8750 ?
> and have i missed a 8750 port any where ?
>
> thanks again and sorry for the newbie question

I doubt a kernel for the 8650 would boot on the 8750.  The devices are
most likely not compatible.

The 8750 is ARMv6 compatible, while the 8650 is only ARMv5 compatible.
The 8750 is certainly much nicer as a result.  Too bad it isn't ARMv7
compatible, since I believe that is the minimum needed for the armhf port.

--
Len Sorensen