Re: SSD in a Qnap TS-110 ?

Am Montag 21 Mai 2012 schrieb David Pottage:
> Hello
>
> I have a Qnap TS-110, which I am using as a home mail and web server for
> the past year. It runs Debian Squeeze.
>
> I am considering replacing the hard drive inside with a small SSD, now
> that prices have come down. Has anyone else done that? Can anyone report
> experiences good or bad with such a set-up?

I had only 1st and 2nd Generation SSD's. With those wear from write access was
a heavy issue. More recent drives should have little worries there, but I read
in many manufacturers descriptions that their drives are "optimized for NTFS
and FAT" - which reads like if they'd blow running ext3/4 or any other decent
journaling system.

> Apart from reducing power consumption, and noise I am hoping that the
> faster seek time of a SSD will make the server more responsive. I
> occasionaly access my mail via squirrelmail web mail, and when I do I
> can hear the hard drive seeking a lot. Running strace on the Apache
> process confirms that the server is accessing a lot of files to service
> each request, so I hope that squirrelmail would benefit from an SSD.

When search time is the issue, a SSD is an enormous speedup. The only thing
even faster are Ramdrives - those boxes you plug in DIMM-RAM's - but there
you'll end up with a 16GB drive for 90€, and I doubt you're needing the
600MB/s throughput on read & write that these drives offer.

> Is an SSD a worthwhile investment, or will it make little difference?

Personal opinion here: I still have a slight toothache thinking about long-
term reliability with lotsa writing in conjunction with SSD's.
So, as for wotrthwhile: Remember to make backups or get two drives and make a
RAID0, or get 3 and make a RAID5.
But I am paranoid.
Considering search-time might be your Achilles-heel, a SSD should be a major
improvement.

> Will there be any difficuty fitting one? (I have one of those sheet
> steel adaptors for fitting 2.5" drives into a 3.5" bay).

No worries as for fitting: in the worst case doublesided sticky tape will hold
the drive in place. Its doing so in my netbook since 4 years, which is
constantly being lugged around.
Powersupply, noise and heat will also show an amiable change toward the
better.

> Thank you.

Ish' Okies.

--