Re: armel v4t vs v5

On 4/05/12 6:50 AM, Rogério Brito wrote:
> BTW, talking about ARM, the very fact that ARMvx != ARMx is confusing to
> newcomers and, if I understand it correctly, for Linux, what is important is
> the thing with "v" (e.g., ARMv5TEJ).

Yes, it is confusing. The vN refers to the architecture version which is
the most important thing so it is like 386, 486, 686 etc vs a cpu model
number. Recompiling to match your architecture doesn't always bring big
performance gains. You need the right application. Something like Povray
shows big performance gains on Raspbian but it doesn't magically
transform the whole system into an i7 and the gains can be very small
for many other things. Overall it is likely worthwhile on the Pi just to
position Debian as the leading distro choice since people looking to run
games and demos may benefit from the optimisations.

> BTW#2, is there any application in Debian (or is GCC actually able to
> generate code to) use Jazelle?

No Jazelle is a) intensely proprietary and you would need to be a big
business and sign NDAs etc - so no open source likely ever and b)
obsolete and been replaced by ThumbEE on later processors.