Re: Getting Debian running on an EfikaMX Smartbook

On 24 March 2012 21:24, Martin Lucina <martin@lucina.net> wrote:
> However, these are more or less useless to me as they appear to not come
> with video drivers (I'm guessing that means no kernel framebuffer drivers),
> and requires access to a serial console, which requires a dongle I don't
> have and couldn't get as the Genesi Europe shop says it's out of stock.

Hi Martin,

Please check again

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2196

The image and the installer script *do* include 2D video drivers, just
not the binary 3D GLES drivers, for which I'm working on a separate
armhf repository which you'll be able to use -almost there just a
couple of packages missing. This installer script is a stop-gap until
we get proper mainline support for the Efika displays so that you can
install Debian armhf right out of the box on your system using plain
Debian Installer (hint: we have 2D working on the Smarttop right now
on 3.2.x, we'll make sure Smartbooks work as well before we release
the display patches.

> Could anyone who actually has Debian running on the SmartBook please advise
> how to proceed? Or have I just purchased myself an expensive paperweight?

As a matter of fact I am running Debian armhf on my 2 Smartbooks and 8
Smarttops (DISCLAIMER: I work for Genesi).
In fact I had to as the Efikas were the first machines running armhf
almost 2 years ago :)

FWIW, I'm doing most (~90%) of my actual daily usage on the efikas,
and only use my PC when I need to do some long compiles. I think
you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you can do with the system,
provided you know what you can expect from the hardware and dont'
start comparing it to a typical PC.

Hope I have been of help, but don't hesitate to ask me anything reg.
armhf on the Efikas.

Regards

Konstantinos