Re: Support for the D-Link DNS-320?

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Matt Palmer wrote:

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:40:35AM -0200, Rogério Brito wrote:
I just saw a guy selling a D-Link DNS-320 and, according to D-Link
themselves, these devices run Linux. Looking on the Linux kernel tree
I see that there is a file called dns323-setup.c (for the 323), but
there is no mention of the 320.

Well, the hardware's somewhat different to the 323, but not hugely so --
looking at http://jamie.lentin.co.uk/devices/dlink-dns325/ (down in
"Userland configuration") it looks like the LEDs are already supported,
which suggests someone's got most of the important bits squared away.

The DNS-320 and DNS-325 should be fully supported after applying the kernel patch on that page. My NASes are stable and few other people have tried with success too. I have submitted it to the linux-arm mailing list in the hopes of getting something in mainline, but it's not generating much interest.

Looking at the specs at http://jamie.lentin.co.uk/devices/dlink-dns325/, I'd
go the 325 if it's not absurdly more expensive -- it's closer to the 323 in
anciliary hardware (eg fan controller, which took some driver hacking to get
working on the 323, but now it works fine), and has more RAM and CPU speed.

The DNS-325 is generally absurdly more expensive, up to double the price---I got mine cheap, fortunately. Most of this goes towards a fancier case. The only real difference in ancillary hardware is the temperature sensor, which is attached to ttyS1 on the DNS-320.

So, my question is: are there successful reports of people using the
DNS-320? Some googling seems to indicate so, but I don't know which
kernel would be appropriate, if everything works correctly etc.

It's always a bit of an adventure.  In my experience, you'll get a pile of
dud advice on the Internet, the only way forward is to buy one and give it a
try.

I'm happy with both of them, especially given how cheap they are. You will need to be reasonably happy wielding a soldering iron and compiling kernels to get Debian installed, but that's all part of the fun :)

Hopefully my advice isn't entirely dud, but I wouldn't be surprised if I've missed out various important points on the way. Let me know if you do get one and decide to try.

- Matt

--
Jamie Lentin