Re: root on esata with TS219P

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012, Mark J. Small wrote:
> Everything works great when the new boot drive is installed in an internal
> bay, but if I put it in an esata enclosure, and hook it up to an esata port
> the box will not boot.
>
> I'm using UUID's in /etc/fstab, so changing drive positions should not matter,
> or does the flash-kernel stuff translate it back in to device names?
>
> I wondered if the esata kernel module wasn't installed in the initramfs, but
> ahci seems to be in there.

 You could confirm what ROOT= was written by flash-kernel in the initrd;
 unpack the generated initrd with gunzip + cpio -i and rgrep the conf/
 directory for ROOT=.

 I would also suspect important modules being missing from your initrd;
 perhaps you can setup a netconsole in your kernel to find out, or
 launch a sshd from your initrd to debug.

--
Loïc Minier