Re: single device to replace ADSL router, WiFi/Ethernet router, SIP router?

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

>I'm looking for a single device (to reduce cabling) to replace this:

>      * it needs to run Debian or have at least some potential to do
>        that. I don't want to have to deal with any pre-installed OSes,
>        custom old OpenWRT builds running Linux 2.4 or other stupidity.
>      * it needs either FXO/FXS ports or some sort of cordless phone
>        integrated with it.
>      * it needs to have ADSL2+ support,
>      * it needs WiFi, preferably something supported by ath5k/ath9k or
>        OpenFWWF
>      * it needs 4 Ethernet ports, speed isn't too important
>      * it needs to either support coreboot or not be x86 (ARM/MIPS/etc)
>      * it needs to be unbrickable, via semi-read-only secondary
>        bootloader or whatever.
>      * internal SATA or eSATA would be nice so that it has useful
>        amounts of storage and can be used as a NAS
>      * a few USB ports would be nice
>      * some hardware expandability would be nice, miniPCI or whatever

One device that comes close is the FritzBox 7390:
  http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZBox_Fon_WLAN_7390/index.php

The big problem holding me back from this is that there does seem to be
a hacking community, but it's all in German (not surprising, since AVM
is a German manufacturer).

I've lost track of this product over the last year or so, so I'm not sure
where the hacking community is on it - perhaps there's more English
resources by now.

I don't know where in the world you live, so this may not be available
to you. It came to Australia earlier this year (2011).