Re: ARM/Linux based car stereo?

Ivan:

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Ivan Jager <aij+debian@mrph.org> wrote:
> I suppose I could leave bluetooth on my phone on all the time and have it
> start playing automatically when it sees the car, although I
> don't expect that would be great for battery life... (It might
> not be too bad though.)

That is precisely what I do--- I have a Jabra Clipper connected to the
AUX input on my car stereo.  It puts itself to sleep after a while of
not having a connection, so I have to turn it on but then after that I
just drive the whole thing with my phone.  Sometimes Pandora, but
mostly the music I have on my phone at the time (which is pretty much
my whole library).

I also have a Bluetooth earpiece for making and taking calls, a
Plantronics 975.  Somehow Android is able to tell the two apart and
route calls to the right place when they come in--- even muting the
music while the call is ongoing.  (I think the "somehow" might come
from the different protocols that the two devices support being
nonoverlapping.  Unverified).

My phone doesn't "automatically" start playing, but I'm sure there is
an app for that somewhere...

I don't notice Bluetooth having a significant drain on my batteries
anywhere.  I recharge the Clipper once every couple of weeks or so, or
maybe once a day on long trips, with a USB charger I have in the car
anyway to support my phone (Google Maps eats a LOT of power).  I just
plug it in to the Clipper as I am stepping out.

Now, here in the 'States we have satellite radio suppliers and my
phone won't get those but the car system will (if I subscribe), but
that's the only thing I seem to give up with my current setup  Many of
my local radio stations have internet feeds, so I can still listen to
them--- although it won't be synchronized with the guy sitting in the
car next to me.  But I get slightly greater range than he does.  :)
(I think the satellite broadcasters offer internet feeds, too).

And the best part is, in my case the whole setup looks like an
ordinary car radio.  Nothing unusual to invite theft while I'm away.

One thing to watch out for is that in some places here it isn't legal
to poke at your phone while driving.  So I avoid doing that.  Just put
on the album, and let it play.

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff