Re: "struct user" conflicts on armel and armfh

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 6:59 PM, peter green
<peter.green@postgrad.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> Do porters and/or glibc maintainers think this should be dealt
> with on the libc6-dev side or should I continue to file patches that deal
> with this issue on the application side?

As an upstream glibc maintainer I would be happy to see this fixed in
glibc and gdb, but nobody has stepped up to fix it.

The `struct user` is used by the gdbserver code that uses ptrace
(PTRACE_PEEKUSR/POKEUSR) to peek/poke at the inferior and read out
stored register values from the USER area. The userspace definition of
`struct user` is equivalent to task_regs(child) layout and is an
agreement between the kernel and userspace for debugging.

There appears to be no good reason for it to be called `struct user`
on Linux (on other OSs this is harder to control), it should have been
named something that doesn't clash with the applications namespace
e.g. struct __user.

Are you volunteering to change glibc and gdb, and work with upstream
to get the changes merged?

Cheers,
Carlos.