Re: Help making a decision on re-basing Slackware ARM from armv4 to armv5

+++ Stuart Winter [2011-12-14 20:30 +0000]:

> Debian's armel port has a user base vastly larger than Slackware ARM's,
> and as such the baseline will (I assume) remain at armv4 because there are
> many devices out there that have such CPUs - and nobody wants to isolate
> such a large number of users.

The v4 userbase is small and shrinking. Strongarm is the only popular
platform that is v4 only that is still somewhat in use. But I think
you really meant v4t, which includes a few more things that are still
in use.: most notable is probably the Openmoko Freerunner and Neo
devices. And a couple of NAS devices based on the FAS-something
or-other.

I can't think of anything else suitable for running vaguely modern
linux on that is not at least v5.

So unless you care particularly about Freerunner/Neo people then v5 is
now a sensible baseline. All the plug computers are in fact v6, I
believe, but I am not aware of any significant benefit in selecting a
v6 baseline, which would leave behind v5 devices, like a lot of
Xscale-based stuff.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/