Re: Cannot install on NSLU2

Hi Groug,

* Groug <groug@free.fr> [2011-12-07 11:14]:
> to re-install lenny and then upgrade to squeeze. But the installer fails
> to download release files from the mirror. I have these lines in the
> log:

Since lenny is approaching end of life anyway (see
<http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Debian-GNU-Linux-5-0-Lenny-approaches-end-of-life-1391439.html>),
I think it's a good time to remove the instructions for the installer.
I'll go ahead and do that.

> Then I tried the instructions at:
>
> http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html
>
> but the slug seems to be stuck after the ramdisk is loaded (ethernet led
> remains green and alone for ever). Even after 8 hours !
>
> Do you have any clues ?

Hard to say... with the manual method it's very easy to get something
wrong that will cause the device not to boot.  I suggest you do
another installation and make sure to follow the instructions
precisely.

Some common problems:

 - Do you use the standard disk layout described on the page?  If not,
   did you update /etc/fstab?

 - Do you use 2 disks?  If so, try with one.

 - You could try the tips at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/troubleshooting.html#no-boot

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/