Re: Debian on Nokia N900?

Hello,

2011/10/28 Victor Nitu <victor@debian-linux.ro>:

> Nokia released some time ago some smartphones using a Debian-based OS, which
> they called Maemo.
> I was wondering if anybody on this list had any previous experience with the
> N900, trying to setup a
> vanilla Debian system. The arch used would be armel, and I guess the
> original phone software (well,
> the important pieces) can still be installed via apt-pinning from the Maemo
> repositories.

There is a new Debian port for ARM, which we have named 'armhf', you
can get it from debian-ports.org. There is an armhf omap kernel which
should have pure mainline RX-51 (N900) enabled. You might need extra
fiddling as there are still few parts missing to be a well supported
platform in Debian (debian-installer, flash-kernel, ..).

Regarding Maemo packages, those might need to be rebuilt against
current Debian armhf sid, so best would be to port any package you
might want to Debian from Maemo.

Best regards,
--