Re: Getting rid of alignment faults in userspace

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Friday 17 June 2011, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

> > The only effective rate limiting configuration I would recommend is to
> > SIGBUS misaligned accesses by default.  And that's also supported
> > already with the right flag.
> >

> So should we change the default in the prerelease kernels to enable SIGBUS?
> The immediate result of that would be to break firefox, which would
> cause a lot of questions on the mailing list.

Only if we really plan on fixing Firefox, and upstream is
interested in accepting the fix.  Otherwise there is no point,
especially when it is possible for those actually interested in this
issue to change the misaligned access behavior at run time for
themselves.

Nicolas