Re: Installing Linux on an oddball computer?

Hi,

Le vendredi 20 mai 2011 à 03:46:52, tai viinikka a écrit :
>[…]
> Hmmm. That looks weirdly similar to a lot of inexpensive Win
> CE boxes that run on a VIA / Wondermedia 8505 CPU, or its
> siblings. They all seem to have 128 MB of RAM and 2 GB of
> Flash. I've come close to ebaying one.
>
> I could definitely be wrong, there's lot of cheap weirdness
> (and weird cheapness) out there.
>
> There is definitely some talk of getting Debian on the
> WM8505s -- you may not have to do it all yourself. :)

Yes, last time I checked, there was WinCE, Android and Debian
images at
  http://bento-linux.org/
which looks down now, unfortunately, but here is a minimal
mirror for the Debian image
  http://projectgus.com/files/abrasive_mirror/wm8505_linux/

128 MB is a little low for some X apps and swap on flash, while
working, is not really appealing.
But those toys may be quite useful (ebook reading, little web-
surfing, ssh consoles...), especially when you get yours for
free ;o)

--
 Sylvain Sauvage