Re: globalscale dreamplug

Ghatothkach Bhimsen Pandav <ghatothkach@hotmail.com> writes:

Hi,

> hi guys,
>
> this is how far I have been with the globalscale dreamplug which has recently started shipping.
>
> The content here is  still not "debian" yet, as the guy ships with ubuntu 9.04 preinstalled. I am new
> to the plug (though have worked with the NSLU2 for quite a few years).
>
> The factory U-boot
>
> Marvell>> version
> U-Boot 2011.06-02334-g8f495d9-dirty (Mar 01 2011 - 06:57:05)
> Marvell-DreamPlug
> Marvell>>
>
> Cannot figure out what version of u-boot that is, however does not support mmc, or the external (full size) SD card slot for booting the uImage
> however it does support  booting from either of the 2 USB ports.

I've heard that the internal mmc is on usb so that's probably why they
disabled mmc. To be able to add mmc support, you'll have to wait for
globalscale if they didn't release the source (I've not checked).

> I installed a 8GB stick on one of the  USB ports (actually USB micro-sd reader)
> and did  the following partition.
>
>    part 1 => fat32 => contains uImage from the globalscale download site (250MB)
>    part 2 => ext3  => untar-gzipped the rootfs from the globalscale download site (2GB)
>    part 3 => ext3 => empty but formatted partition (rest of the sd)
>
> I updated the /etc/fstab on part2 to add a line to mount the part 3 using UUID under /home/
>
> Also installed a full size SD card in the external slot (to see what it does)
>
> On the factory-uboot I can see  both the internal-sd (as usb dev 0 ) and the external usb-stick
> (as usb dev 1). so I can boot/load the uImage from both the internal-sd or the USB device.
>
> The Factory uImage
>
> The factory uImage, which is the same as the one on the globalscale download side (dated mar 3 2011)
> identifies the internal sd card as /dev/sda, the external-SD card as /dev/sdb and the USB stick as /dev/sdc
>
> It also identifies the /home partition by the UUID and mounts it correctly under /home/
>

> How to boot from External USB stick (both uImage, rootfs)
>
> I am using a Jtag with the device, so note that, I have not experimented without it.

jtag ? are you sure you're not using the serial port ?

> on the u-boot prompt
>
> setenv x_bootcmd_kernel fatload usb 1 0x6400000 uImage
> setenv x_bootargs_root root=/dev/sdc2 rootdelay=10
>

> then run the default boot command
>
> run bootcmd
>
> [Note: the printenv before I run the bootcmd looks like...
>
> Marvell>> printenv
> bootcmd=setenv ethact egiga0; ${x_bootcmd_ethernet}; setenv ethact egiga1; ${x_bootcmd_ethernet}; ${x_bootcmd_usb}; ${x_bootcmd_kernel}; setenv bootargs ${x_bootargs} ${x_bootargs_root}; bootm 0x6400000;
> bootdelay=3
> baudrate=115200
> x_bootcmd_ethernet=ping 192.168.2.1
> x_bootcmd_usb=usb start
> x_bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200
> ethact=egiga0
> ethaddr=F0:AD:4E:00:73:CE
> eth1addr=F0:AD:4E:00:73:CF
> stdin=serial
> stdout=serial
> stderr=serial
> x_bootcmd_kernel=fatload usb 1 0x6400000 uImage
> x_bootargs_root=root=/dev/sdc2 rootdelay=10
>
> Environment size: 524/4092 bytes
> Marvell>>
>
> Notice that the uImage is loaded into 0x6400000 (the factory setting)
>
> Thats all, the system boots correctly..  as expected...
>

> Given that the default uImage identifies the external-sd card as /dev/sdb, I guess we can install a ext3 formatted card in the sd slot, and also load the rootfs from there... I have not personally tested this (I don't have any spare card with me),  one would then have to use  /dev/sdb1 in x_bootargs_root
> then...

yeah, I guess that loading the kernel from the internal card and using
root=/dev/sdb1 should work.

> TO-DO Installing debian
>
> Here is where I have all the questions, for you folks...
> 0. No installers available from debian for "dreamplug"

you may try to follow guruplug or sheevaplug instructions and adapt them
for dreamplug. I guess you'll find some infos in the archive.

There's also http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Arm/OtherPlatforms

> 1. What is the arcNumber to be used with this device ?
>
> Hint:
> Marvell>> bdinfo
> arch_number = 0x00000A63
>
> env_t       = 0x00000000
> boot_params = 0x00000100
>
> DRAM bank   = 0x00000000
> -> start    = 0x00000000
>
> -> size     = 0x10000000
> DRAM bank   = 0x00000001
>
> -> start    = 0x10000000
> -> size     = 0x10000000
>
> DRAM bank   = 0x00000002
> -> start    = 0x00000000
>
> -> size     = 0x00000000
> DRAM bank   = 0x00000003
>
> -> start    = 0x00000000
> -> size     = 0x00000000
>
> ethaddr     = F0:AD:4E:00:73:CE
> ip_addr     = 0.0.0.0
>
> baudrate    = 115200 bps
> Marvell>>
>
> So is it 2659 ? (decimal of arch_number)

yeah. Looks like dreamplug is using same machine number as guruplug
here. I don't know the dreamplug hardware but maybe dreamplug and
guruplug server are nearly identical (difference being only the flash
smaller). May worth looking at the dreamplug kernel source.

> 3. I am planning on trying the available installers, however notice that the uImage is loaded into
> 0x6400000  unlike the sheevaplug, so I am not sure what location I should install the uInitrd to

I can't check atm but there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to use
same addresses than sheevaplug. At least, I remember that guruplug is
using 0x6400000 too, so look for informations about guruplug.

Arnaud