Re: Using nslu2 as remote console

On 03/06/2011 09:40 AM, Björn Wetterbom wrote:
> I recently got the idea to use my nslu2 as a remote serial console for
> another machine. The idea is to be able to ssh to the nslu2 to see console
> output from the other machine.
>
> To do this, I figure I have to disable the getty on the nslu2. Is there
> anything else I should think about, or is it as straightforward as I think?

If you're using the onboard serial port, then you should be aware that
the kernel and bootloader messages get printed there.  Do you really
want those messages to be sent to the serial process on the other host?

I recommend never attaching the primary console of one machine to the
primary console of another :/

If you're using a separate USB serial adapter, i think you should have
no problems, as long as (as you suggest) you don't have a getty or other
process attached to the USB device.

	--dkg

PS i'm upstream on the "cereal" package, which (when coupled with ssh)
is a nice way to have logged, timestamped, multiuser access to a serial
line.  if you're interested in this stuff, please check it out!