Re: vgchange (lvm) fails with large snapshots on low memory machines

>I am running 2.6.32-5-orion5x on a dns-323 (800MHz processor, 64MB
>RAM).
>
>When I have large snapshots (e.g., 75GB), I cannot activate the
>snapshots or the corresponding original lvm partition. In fact,
>running the command "vgchange -ay" (or the equivalent lvchange
>version) either hangs the machine or returns the line "killed" after a
>few minutes.
>
>Looking in the syslog, I get many error messages about memory
>allocation failures, including:
>	vgchange: page allocation failure. order:0, mode:0x10
>
>Nothing else is running on the machine and I have 500MB of swap
>(almost all free). I also have a reasonable (for this low memory
>machine) of unused RAM:
>
>#free
 >            total       used       free     shared    buffers cached
>Mem:         61056      51688       9368          0        340 7156
->/+ buffers/cache:      44192      16864
>Swap:       530104       6636     523468
>

>Everything works if I switch the drive to a plugcomputer with 512MB
>RAM though vgchange takes a couple of minutes to load (I believe that
>is because snapshots are slow).
>
>Also, it worked when I removed the older of the two 75GB snapshots.
>And I think it didn't become a problem until the snapshot got "old"
>(i.e., started to differ a lot from the original).
>
>So what is going on with vgchange that it cannot allocate enough
>kernel memory? Shouldn't the free RAM plus the swap be enough?
>Or is there something special about vgchange that requires actual RAM?

I am also having a problem on my 64meg of ram dns-323 when trying
rsync from drive to drive. I can rsync from a remove machine onto the
dns-323, but I recently rsynced 1600GB on lenny and had no problems
pre-upgrade to 6.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I love
this platform.