Re: Dreamplug

On 02/10/11 01:44, JK Scheinberg wrote:
[...]
> Yeah my SheevaPlug doesn't have eSATA, I have a USB SDD on it.  It's pretty solid but does go offline every few weeks. I've been unable to determine why so far

Rumour has it that the Kirkwood USB chipset is a bit dodgy.

Certainly, I've had problems. I run cowlark.com off a SheevaPlug, which
does routing/email/website/IMAP/spam filtering etc, even running a Java
servlet. As a result I have a lot of devices hanging off the single USB
port; four USB keys (RAIDed into a 64GB SSD), a spinning hard drive, and
an ethernet adaptor.

It turns out that it's very sensitive as to the ordering and type of the
USB devices. It took me about a week of experimentation before I found
the combination of sockets that would run stably; otherwise I'd get I/O
errors, devices would drop off mysteriously, or other issues. I have a
D-Link 7-port USB hub that wouldn't work at all, while cheaper 4-port
hubs were fine. As it is, U-Boot simply can't find the boot device
reliably so I have to boot from the SD card, and every now and again
while under load the ethernet adaptor simply stops generating interrupts
(so I have to remove and reinsert it. Note that the internal gigabit
ethernet works flawlessly).

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

(And yes, it all does work fine when plugged into something that's not
the SheevaPlug. And yes, all the USB hubs are externally powered.)

I was interested in the GuruPlug, with its extra ports and eSATA, until
I read about the heat problems; so the DreamPlug with its power supply
redesign looks very nice.

Incidentally, people might be interested to see:

http://www.cowlark.com/graphs/

That's some system stats on cowlark.com's SheevaPlug. In particular, if
you look at the UPS load, you can see the external hard drive spin up
and down. It's interesting that the hard drive uses about 2/3 of the
energy of the entire rest of the hardware stack: ADSL router,
SheevaPlug, several USB hugs, WRT54GL...

│ "Thou who might be our Father, who perhaps may be in Heaven, hallowed
│ be Thy Name, if Name Thou hast and any desire to see it hallowed..."
│ --- _Creatures of Light and Darkness_, Roger Zelazny