Re: free software laptop (ARM-based, 1280x800 LCD)

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 2:08 AM, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote at 2011-01-31 09:11 -0700:
>> after the somewhat embarrassing lessons learned last year from dealing
>> with the GPL-violating seatron ST-PC89E i am still persistently
>> looking to bring about a Free Software laptop - one that is actually
>> useful and useable (definition: 1gb RAM, 1ghz+ CPU, 11in or greater
>> 1280x768 or greater LCD).  incredibly, after all the fuss and hype

> I will probably be looking into purchasing a device like this at some point in
> the next few years.  My interest in free-software devices (primarily, full
> mainline Linux support) has increased because of experiences with the other,
> less convenient sort of device.

 :)

>> so, simple question, with that background in mind: anyone else
>> interested to make this happen?
>
> Unfortunately I am quite unable to put any resources into this, but I will
> certainly be interested and would like to follow progress when/if there is a
> website available (libreplanet.org?).

 i'm currently maintaining links at http://lkcl.net/laptop.html for
now, but yes you're the 2nd person to mention libreplanet.org, i'll
have a word with them and see what they say.

 for now, however, the closest possible machine is the efika mx which
you _can_ upgrade to a cheap-and-cheerful 1280x720 LCD panel: at least
one person has done it, gordon, he's on the fedora-arm mailing list.

 but if you simply want to know about any other machines there's the
arm-netbook@lists.phcomp.co.uk mailing list, i'm keeping an eye out
and then posting there.  archives here if you prefer to monitor lists
by http, like i do:
http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2011-February/thread.html

 i'm going to keep on and on and on and on at this until i get a damn
machine brought into existence, or find one that's good enough that
someone else has done.  in three years, not _nobody_ has made a "good
enough" ARM-based or MIPS-based laptop, so *sigh* am still on it.  if
you hear of one (1gb RAM, 1280x768 or greater LCD) please _do_ let me
know, i can stop badgering people, then, and help with porting instead
:)

 l.