Re: Using Linux as a boot loader -- status and RFH

Hello,

2011/1/31 Eric Cooper <ecc@cmu.edu>:

> * The ubifs support is read-only, so u-boot can't repair a ubifs
>  partition after a power failure. That means I can't reliably keep my
>  kernel in a ubifs root partition, although I'd like to.

It seems like you do not need repair ubifs partitions:
< http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.37/Documentation/filesystems/ubifs.txt#L59 >

> Both of these are non-problems in Linux.  Anyway, I'm not out to
> convince anyone to "defect" from using u-boot -- I'm just
> experimenting with an alternative approach and I'll share what I
> learn.

I have been wanting to read a UBI volume containing a kernel  image
with a minimal "stage one" loader, use such kernel as "stage two"
bootloader. There was about it during CELF [1], but no code available
at this time. I wonder if it is possible to use a UBI library [2] to
implement such idea.

Best regards,
  -- Héctor Orón

[1] http://elinux.org/images/4/45/Ipl_and_ubi.pdf